Christian Socialist values statement
Values, objects, and aims
In November 2006, the Christian Socialist Movement (affiliated to the Labour Party) voted for a new statement of values. This followed a three year consultation process, which I led. An article about the statement can be read here. The statement is reproduced below.
We believe that Christian teaching should be reflected in laws and institutions and that the Kingdom of God finds its political expression in democratic socialist policies.
We believe that all people are created in the image of God. We all have equal worth and deserve equal opportunities to fulfil our God-given potential whilst exercising personal responsibility.
We believe in personal freedom, exercised in community with others and embracing civil, social and economic freedom.
We believe in social justice and that the institutional causes of poverty in, and between, rich and poor countries should be abolished.
We believe all people are called to common stewardship of the Earth, including its natural resources.
Christian Socialist Movement members pledge themselves to work in prayer and through political action for the following objectives:
- A greater understanding between people of different faiths
- The unity of all Christian people
- Peace and reconciliation between nations and peoples and cultures together with worldwide nuclear and general disarmament
- Social justice, equality of opportunity and redistribution economically to close the gap between the rich and the poor, and between rich and poor nations
- A classless society based on equal worth and without discrimination
- The sustainable use of the Earth’s resources for the benefit of all people, both current and future generations
- Co-operation, including the creation of cooperative organisations
The Christian Socialist Movement will:
- Promote Christian Socialist values in politics
- Encourage Christians to engage in political action to work for a society reflecting our values and objectives
- Provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and policies to develop Christian Socialism
- Campaign vigorously against all forms of oppression, prejudice and abuse of power
- In all our transactions seek to create and sustain a spirit of Christian fellowship and seek the Kingdom of God through deepening knowledge of God.